Arkansas Backroads Ride

Started by VDR, October 07, 2011, 13:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rider

I live in AR. and will be at the rally if all go's well have other Vulcan events to go to this year and just bought a 1999 Drifter Orig. all the way and hope to take it to this rally . I know Harrison is a wet  county and serves beer and wine  and RT. 7 run south from there to Jasper a great ride and town to visit .  I own 4 KAW's 2010 Voyager,2005 Nomad,2003 Meanstreak and the 1999 Drifter is one bike I always wanted nothing against any other year but the 99 is my favorite. I hope we have good weather and its a good time of the year to be in AR. looking forward to it and meeting other owners .

VDR

Arkansas Backroads Ride
7 October 2011, 10:56 am

Here's a little story, sent to us by Terry Cook, about a day trip ride motorcyclists can take down in the Ozarks around the city of Harrison, Arkansas.

'Eureka Springs Backroads Route- A Harrison Motorcycle Adventure'

"From the top of the Crescent Hotel to the bottom of the "Pig Trail" on Arkansas Highway 23, the Eureka Springs Backroads Route from Harrison, Arkansas is a memorable route you will want to take. This 132 mile (roundtrip) ride has 571 curves to keep you occupied, with the estimated time at just under five hours.

Starting from Harrison you will head south on Arkansas Highway 43. Be sure to allow time to stop at the lookout that you can view back towards Harrison when you reach the top. (Watch for the road construction heading up Gaither Mountain. Be careful, as spring rains have forced the closure of one lane due to a landslide. The Highway Department deems the road safe for vehicles and motorcycles).

Take Arkansas Highway 21 five miles south of Ponca. Between Ponca and Boxley you will pass fields on the left which are often full of Arkansas elk that roam the lands of the Buffalo National River. Off to the right is the Lost Valley Trail and camping area. The 2.3 mile trail (roundtrip) is one of the most popular along the 149 mile Buffalo National River, America's first national river.

At the stop sign, turn right towards Kingston. In Kingston circle the iconic square (maybe twice) to see the sites and then head west on Arkansas Highway 74 to Huntsville. Huntsville is the county seat of Madison County and the original home of former Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus, who became famous for his role in the Little Rock Central High School integration crisis of 1957. His former home is located high above the town.

While in Huntsville a great restaurant to enjoy and popular with bikers is Granny's Kitchen.  You can indulge in homemade food of all kinds, a great atmosphere and some of the best homemade pie in all of Arkansas!

Turn right on Highway 23.  You are now on the upper stretches of the famed "Pig Trail" heading to Eureka Springs.

What can one say about Eureka Springs that hasn't already been said many times?  This quaint, Victorian Village is a special place to the Arkansas Ozarks. A drive down Spring Street on the Historic Loop is something you do not want to miss. The narrow streets remind you of being in a foreign country that adds to the uniqueness of the city. There is too much to do in Eureka Springs to list all of it; you must experience it for yourself.

After you have experienced Eureka Springs, get back on US 62 heading East until you come to Highway 221 (also known as Race Track Road). Turn right and follow the signs to Berryville and Harrison. If time permits, a stop at the Saunder's Museum just off the Berryville Square at 115 E. Madison Ave. might be worth the time. Colonel "Buck" Saunders left his extensive gun collection to the city so that others might enjoy it.

When finished get back on US Highway 62 and head to Harrison.  This route will offer numerous climbs and descents with plenty of thrills. Gas is available in Harrison, Ponca, Kingston, Huntsville, Rockhouse, Eureka Springs, Berryville, Green Forest and Alpena."

Terry added that many of the restaurants in Harrison now serve alcohol. You can find more information on motorcycling in Harrison, including the Motorcycle Riding Guide of the Ozarks (with five other great rides), hotel, motel and restaurant listings, phone numbers and web site addresses, contact the Harrison Convention and Visitors Bureau at (870) 741-1789 or (toll free at 1-888-283-2163) or visit their web site at www.HarrisonArkansas.org

Source and image: Harrison Convention and Visitors Bureau

Posted by Sam Kanish

Source: IronWorks Magazine

Click on the link in the subject line to get to this article.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk