Riding Two-Up With a Young Un

Started by Hoggy, September 18, 2017, 21:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy

Bungee cords?  Now wait a minute.  That puts a whole new spin on things.  I do some of my best work with bungee cords.  :)

CDNRatMan

Smart Idea really. Years ago I did see a fella at the Biker Reunion with his Grandson on a Gold Wing, the ing had the big ass passenger seat, armrests and such. He actually used bungie cord on his grandson because he would fall asleep on a long ride.....now that gave me food for thought about wow does he care.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Hoggy

There was a bill introduced to restrict children under 14 years old from riding as a passenger recently but it never made it to law. But as you say, it is a requirement of law that they must be able to reach the passenger foot rests, which my grandson can do. However, I don't have a backrest and as I was a little uneasy of the idea to begin with, I think I'll just shelve this idea until he is a bit older.

CDNRatMan

Hoggy:
You most likely have checked it out but the HTA (Highway Traffic Act of Ontario) states that children can not ride on the back of a motorcycle unless both feet can rest flat and firmly on the passenger foot rests. They are not allowed to ride in front of you either.
also passengers in  a sidecar are required to wear DOT approved helmets. It is very simple really to understand.
So all that being said, I would be very leery of children riding behind me when they are small as they might not be able to hang on properly or with strength. Harness might not be bad but might not be good either.
So one question not asked yet is how old is your grandson? How about a picture of him on the bike? Do you have a backrest or something for him to rest against?

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Pilgrim

If they can't plant their feet firmly on the passenger foot boards/pegs they shouldn't be riding...no way to hold themselves upright without feet planted.

Troll

Consider checking local laws about passengers before going any further.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

mittico68

I've rode some times with my young son (7 years old) behind me, but only around my house and with no traffic at all: that's because I think it's a matter of safety and a youngster shouldn't ride bikes until he's almost 14 - 15 years old.
But the most important thing in that case is to ride reeeeally slow...
Unless your grandson is way young and unable to grab you safely, I don't think you should wear a harness like that... that's just a question of style!  8)

I love my swingin' bike!

Hoggy

Just wondering what opinion or experience anyone has about riding with a youngster behind.  I have a grandson who is itching to ride with me but I have been a bit leery about taking him.  But now I see a company in my area that makes a harness that straps the rider to your back, and it provides two handles for the rider to hang onto.

Any thoughts on this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk