Truck Fever or Winter Blues????

Started by Trall, January 04, 2017, 17:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoar

Quote from: Bucko on January 06, 2017, 19:28:07 PM

I thought that 2016 was the first model year for the aluminum body F150 (or what it 2015)?

I have been watching these trucks closely as well.  The aluminum body should stay 'rust free' or perhaps oxidation free in this case, as long as it's not direct contact with Steel.  A buddy of min who just bought one claims that Ford went to great lengths to use plastic isolators wherever there is contact between the steel frame and aluminum body.  I wonder about the lifespan of those plastic isolators.  I also notice Ford seems to push the weight reduction rather than the rust free aspect - makes me wonder why they don't push that - maybe because most trucks are sold where rust isn't an issue???

I have a pretty well cared for low mileage 88 jeep that was supposed to have superior corrosion resistance but it's now a rust bucket.  I'd buy one of these aluminum body trucks in a heartbeat if it mean the body would still be mint 29 years later.

They have been making aluminum bodies trucks for years! I own a Chevrolet P30. It is all aluminum bodied. Not any rust. it is a 1997!!!  Frame and everything else are different matters. But aluminum body and where the aluminum meets with the ferrous metal looks good!

Not bad for a 20 year old "TRUCK"!

RockinRollin

Demographics of Drifter riders average age is up there I bet.

CDNRatMan

:o "US" the united states is elderly ok that clears that up, I know that I am not as old as most of the members on this forum......
need to figure the average age of Drifter riders......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Old Drifter

Gene

1999 Drifter

RockinRollin

My in-laws bought a new Impala for 30K (off the lot, taxes - shipping) and after 2 years decided they didn't want it any longer, sold it for 15K. :o

CDNRatMan

Trall

Those are some good points for aluminum body Fords.  They may not rust but have other issues from salt and still get holes.  Time will tell.

I turned my brain back on after being away from the dealership for several days.  No new truck for me.  I don't want to drown in a monthly payment and I already decidedED  not to sell the Drifter. I was temporarily insane for even considering it.

Good news, I sold my 2001 Ext cab for 10500 even. I was asking 10700. KBB was in the high side 8k range and Nada 9k. KBB phone app also give you market value range being 8k to 11k.  So I got what I wanted.  It sold in 4 days. Dealer offered 6k.

Now I just upgraded to a perfect condition elderly owned rust free 2006 GMC crew cab 4x4 with 48k miles for 16,500.  That's way better then a new truck payment. It all worked out.  Thanks.

Bucko

I thought that 2016 was the first model year for the aluminum body F150 (or what it 2015)?

I have been watching these trucks closely as well.  The aluminum body should stay 'rust free' or perhaps oxidation free in this case, as long as it's not direct contact with Steel.  A buddy of min who just bought one claims that Ford went to great lengths to use plastic isolators wherever there is contact between the steel frame and aluminum body.  I wonder about the lifespan of those plastic isolators.  I also notice Ford seems to push the weight reduction rather than the rust free aspect - makes me wonder why they don't push that - maybe because most trucks are sold where rust isn't an issue???

I have a pretty well cared for low mileage 88 jeep that was supposed to have superior corrosion resistance but it's now a rust bucket.  I'd buy one of these aluminum body trucks in a heartbeat if it mean the body would still be mint 29 years later.

Troll

Just bought a Kentucky Long Rifle kit, that will keep me busy all winter. I don't need no stinkin' truck!

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Zoar

Quote from: Trall on January 04, 2017, 17:07:38 PM

I just visited and looked at the all New Aluminum Ford F150 trucks.  Absolutely great looking trucks.  No body rust ever with the aluminum bodies is what I liked the most.  I've been having truck fever for a newer 4X4 Crew cab (Chevy, Ford or Toyota) and selling my rust free, 73 k 01 4x4 Chevy Extend cab.  After looking at the payments and prices I would have to sell my 1500 Drifter and 01 Truck to get the balance and payment range I want.
At this point I don't know if my truck fever is getting higher or its just the winter blues where I am thinking of selling both for a new truck and get another 1500 later and restore it all over again.......It's a lot to replace and some of the parts are getting so hard to find.......IDK

OUCH! You know you will regret the day you sold that Drifter IF you sell it!

1) New vehicles are a RIP OFF. Everyone knows this.
2) Winter makes us stir crazy. I am looking at buying another Mauser Rifle. (I do not need this)
3) Aluminum bodies are nice but not required and you have a RUST free truck now, and somehow you achieved that without an aluminum body. What??
4) As others have posted, wait until after the BIG showroom depreciation happens, then buy if you want
5) Maybe get a puppy?

CDNRatMan

Something like that special paint GM used on some vehicles and it was never supposed to show rust, and it is all peeling off the vehicles now.......it is not showing the rust it is just not on the vehicle......

RockinRollin

I wonder about the Aluminum body on the Fords, They may not rust but up here in Canada we pour the salt all over the roads for 5 months of the year. The aluminum would have a protective coating but if it was scratched or peeled off the corrosion would start and it wouldn't take long for the holes to show up.  Maybe I'm wrong but I would wait a few years to see how they fair at least in Canada.

mittico68

Quote from: Old Drifter on January 05, 2017, 18:41:25 PM

Good choice...you would have had high payments and no dream bike to ride for therapy from those high payments.

Absolutely well said!

I love my swingin' bike!

Old Drifter

Good choice...you would have had high payments and no dream bike to ride for therapy from those high payments.

Gene

1999 Drifter

Trall

My new truck fever subsided.  Definitely keeping Drifter.  Just too much hassle to replace all the hard to find parts from the past two years and all the hours and dollars invested into my 1500 to get it to the dream bike level that I always wanted.  The more I think about it,  I am just getting a bigger payment for the connivence of a crew cab.  My 01 4x4 Silverado is already mint and rust free which in IL is rare by itself.

I still might upgrade to a Used crew cab 4x4 if my truck sells for what I want out of it and wait for a estate deal and super private party buy that comes up once in a great while if you constantly watch the for sale ads. I already drive a car daily - 1998 Olds 88 with only 64 k miles- bought it two years ago with 24k miles to save on gas and keep miles down on my 73K Miles  01 Silverado.

The new truck was a close impulse buy if the dealer gave me a market value price on my Silverado instead of a black book / trade in price like they do or make you fill good and give you a market price for your trade in and jack the new truck price up.

As you can tell.  I don't like big payments based on the vehicles I own so I definitely won't be buying a new truck.

DC

Quote from: greenbarn on January 04, 2017, 19:52:23 PM

My thoughts are to buy used.  A new truck is nice, but a 2-year old truck with low miles is nearly as nice, with a lot lower payments.  Just my 2 cents....

This is the way to do it, if you can.  You get the most bang for the buck.  But I get wanting a new truck.  I was looking at GMS Sierra Denalis, with a Duramax.  Mucho bux.  Nice to dream though.  I had the fever for it, for about 2-3 months.  Finally after looking at them for a while, the fever subsided.  I think I'll just supplement my old truck with a small high mpg car, as it looks like gas prices are going to significantly go up.

pcarrell

Quote from: greenbarn on January 04, 2017, 19:52:23 PM

My thoughts are to buy used.  A new truck is nice, but a 2-year old truck with low miles is nearly as nice, with a lot lower payments.  Just my 2 cents....

Exactly!  Let someone else eat all the depreciation!

mittico68

Keep the Drifter with you and wait until there will be some second hand F150 truck, as GB stated.
It will allow you to spend much more money for some new add-on for your bike!

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

:o sell the Drifter, wow that is drastic, sad part is you buy another one and you might not get what you want or in as good a shape and then to spend all that money to get what you had, and might not find those hard to find parts.......

greenbarn

No Worries

Pilgrim

Might as well wait because you may not get much for the Drifter till spring. You could prob sell the 4x4 right now though.

Trall

I just visited and looked at the all New Aluminum Ford F150 trucks.  Absolutely great looking trucks.  No body rust ever with the aluminum bodies is what I liked the most.  I've been having truck fever for a newer 4X4 Crew cab (Chevy, Ford or Toyota) and selling my rust free, 73 k 01 4x4 Chevy Extend cab.  After looking at the payments and prices I would have to sell my 1500 Drifter and 01 Truck to get the balance and payment range I want.
At this point I don't know if my truck fever is getting higher or its just the winter blues where I am thinking of selling both for a new truck and get another 1500 later and restore it all over again.......It's a lot to replace and some of the parts are getting so hard to find.......IDK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk