Badging it as an Indian

Started by Tfrank59, September 14, 2017, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tfrank59

Quote from: Texasdrifter on October 22, 2018, 21:44:03 PM

Took the Drifter to a bike show this past weekend and won First Place for American Stock Motorcycle class???????
The judges pick the class and I wasn't around when they judged it. Must have talked to two dozen bikers that checked out the bike at the show and none of them had a clue it was a Kawasaki even with that big radiator in front?????

Hey congratulations on the win! I hardly ever explain anymore that my bike is in fact a Kawasaki.  Now I know it can even fool the experts 8) 
Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

mittico68

Quote from: Texasdrifter on October 22, 2018, 21:44:03 PM

Took the Drifter to a bike show this past weekend and won First Place for American Stock Motorcycle class???????

Well, at least she's got a stock exhaust... isn't it?  ;D

I love my swingin' bike!

Texasdrifter

The judges pick the class and I wasn't around when they judged it. Must have talked to two dozen bikers that checked out the bike at the show and none of them had a clue it was a Kawasaki even with that big radiator in front?????

OR Seedman

may have been Pakistani......LOL

OR Seedman

Tfrank59

Was he really a young Indian? ;D

Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

OR Seedman

the young Indian rep at the Portland auto show last January had a very confused look on his face when I showed him a picture of my 2001 1500 and told him that Polaris was now making the new Indians as a tribute bike to the Drifters.....ROFLMAO!

OR Seedman

garry anderson

I have owned my 99 . drifter since new, long before polaris introduced the Drifter Replica.  I dressed it up to look like the 48 indian however my indian head on the gas tank says Drifter.  Many people mistake it for an Indian, my biggest problem when I tell them its kawasaki drifter people often get upset and tell me they knew that do I think they are stupid.
With my wife advice when people say nice indian I say thanks.  Any person that knows bikes knows that it is a drifter and I still get the compliments, others can go home and tell their family about the great Indian they just saw.
Its fun to call the new Indians Drifter Replicas and is good for a laugh.

Tfrank59

Yeah I've noticed that people don't really mind at all when I explain that my bike which is badged as an Indian is actually a Kawasaki. They also respect the fact that it is a tribute to a 1940's Indian chief only it's got all the latest safety upgrades and much more reliable than any motorcycle from the old days. And as I posted in a different thread I get a lot of smiles when I'm riding my Drifter whom I've affectionately named "Skinny."

Tom

Texasdrifter

I went all the way with my 800. Full blown custom Indianized. I took it to an open house at our local Indian Dealer and had to explain to the folks that worked there it was a Kawasaki! They kept asking what year it was. Having a blast with it now! Always very positive comments even from the Indian and Harley owners.

Bucko

Quote from: jmbo on October 26, 2017, 09:33:06 AM

Same stock shell with matching vulcan cover

Cover combo looks great!

RockinRollin

How dare you make your bike look more like the bike it was made to imitate! ;) Like it or not all Drifters were made to imitate Indian motorcycles which is why most of us own them instead of a Classic or Nomad.

Tfrank59

Well, I have Indian decals on my bike, and by that I am in effect telling people it's an Indian. If they ask me, I engage in conversation and let them know it's actually a Kawasaki. My opening post to this thread says that, at least in my experience, few people even care. They're more enamored by the retro look of the bike. So am I, which is why I bought it in the first place. Am I being less than honest about it? I'll let the motorcycle community be my judge. Meanwhile I'm just going to enjoy my Drifter, which is a "genuine Indian tribute" bike. ;)

Tom

Abby

First, I do realize this thread is over 4 months old. Second, I think JMBO's badges are fantastic. Now to my point; my new to me '99 drifter 1500 is a dream machine. I just received Indian war bonnet tank decals with no script and a solo seat in the mail today. Can't wait for warm spring days to enjoy personalizing and riding this gorgeous machine. I will never tell someone it is an Indian bike but want it to look like one. I respect anyone's freedom of self expression and all opinions on this matter. Wishing all great days and safe rides!

CDNRatMan

:o here was me thinking you had left the earth, welcome back TJ.......lol.........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

tj

Quote from: Bucko on September 15, 2017, 00:44:29 AM

I'm more curious about what real Indian owners think about dressing their bikes up as Drifters.

I took mine to Sturgis a couple summers ago during the event. I ran into many guys on Polaris Indians and the response from every one of them was positive...I do have the word tribute on the tank tho.

Tfrank59

Quote from: jmbo on October 29, 2017, 10:11:45 AM

The badges are printed vinyl. I use a company called Stricker-up out of Canada. They are UV coated and the adhesive is semi-perminet so I can replace them if I want.  The current ones have been on the bike for three years.

could others purchase those same badges from that company, and would they ship to WA state? ;D Link to website?  thanks.

Tom

jmbo

Quote from: RockinRollin on October 28, 2017, 15:28:05 PM

I must say Jmbo I really like the tank badges, What are they made of?

The badges are printed vinyl. I use a company called Stricker-up out of Canada. They are UV coated and the adhesive is semi-perminet so I can replace them if I want.  The current ones have been on the bike for three years.

Jimb

jmbo

Quote from: Tfrank59 on October 26, 2017, 12:05:21 PM

She's a real beauty in all respects.  Love the color scheme.  How long can you endure that seat--perfect retro look but is it good for a few hours in the saddle?  (you could always get an airhawk pad for long rides)

Once I got it all set up it was very comfortable. The only reason I went back to the stock two up was was for my bride's ride.

Jimb

RockinRollin

I must say Jmbo I really like the tank badges, What are they made of?

CDNRatMan

8) I am claiming over medication and for some reason was thinking you had a 800 .....oh time for a nap......

Tfrank59

Quote from: jmbo on October 25, 2017, 21:12:09 PM

Here are a couple photos of the air cleaner and lowered.  The air cleaner is stock with a rare cast aluminum cover with a vulcan logo.  The cover is almost 1/2" thick.

The lowers are 1/4" Lexan  with rubber tubing over chrome "U" bolts to hold them on. (photo taken before I painted the bike)

She's a real beauty in all respects.  Love the color scheme.  How long can you endure that seat--perfect retro look but is it good for a few hours in the saddle?  (you could always get an airhawk pad for long rides)

Tom

Old Drifter

Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 25, 2017, 21:29:55 PM

how about the air filter on the brake side of the bike.....

The pic looks like the "brake side" to me.
Gene

1999 Drifter

jmbo

Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 25, 2017, 21:29:55 PM

Same stock shell with matching vulcan cover

Jimb

CDNRatMan

jmbo

Here are a couple photos of the air cleaner and lowered.  The air cleaner is stock with a rare cast aluminum cover with a vulcan logo.  The cover is almost 1/2" thick.

The lowers are 1/4" Lexan  with rubber tubing over chrome "U" bolts to hold them on. (photo taken before I painted the bike)

Jimb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk