re gear

Started by Matchu116, September 06, 2017, 20:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

kw, not going to preach to the choir, but I know that I really like the swap. Now I rode from North Bay to Sackville New Brunswick along the Trans Canada Highway, I was running along at 80mph all day and the bike never faltered never had an issue. I regularly ride to New Liskeard aout 2 hours north of here and it is a major highway and the speed limit is 60mph almost all the way, and I get into fifth gear and it is running really well......just saying you should try it.
Thanks for the offer of the offer of the bull guard but I have one coming from Guido.I am now hunting for a Drifter shifter and a front fender guard......lol........I have 2 sets of the original 99 tank badges so that is a good thing, my favorite colour of the 99's is still the Sunbeam Red....lol.....I might swap the exhaust not sure yet. I also have a buddy who owns a print shop and they do some really awesome work.......he has done some good work of wraps.....busses, trucks and cars, he has never done a bike, so I sort of suggested that they can do my new Drifter, but in my style.......lol......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

kw-retrorider

Ratman....Very nice! I missed the first posting.

That is my favorite color of the blacked out era. First 800 I ever rode was a lowered 2000 with fishtails on it...which made me serious about finding an 800.

That is a nice clean example. Looks like an aftermarket seat and stock exhaust. I agree with removing the decal and would consider finding a set of the correct tank badges....but looks good plain. Even already has the whitewalls you love to clean!

Since this thread is about gearing....you know I'm not convinced on the gearing change...but I don't drive two up and have never driven one with the 18/38 set-up, so I'll leave it there.

Now for the hard to find accessory search. I have a black aftermarket engine guard like yours from overseas. If you are interested, send a pm and I'll send some pics.

Good luck with it and nice find.

mittico68

Ratman, I think you shouldn't change the color, unless you want to go for a two-tone...
Just sayin'...

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=48267.0

Sorry kw-retrorider but it was posted here the day after I arrived home.......so tomorrow I'll get myself out and get some pictures just for you, the only thing I changed was that the original PO had added some large Indian head stickers to the tank and I removed them.......
I saw this machine on Kijiji at the start of the summer, and location was in Kingston ON where I just happen to have a sister living.......he dropped the price and I was interested. Well turns out the person I bought it from had bought it for his girlfriend, he had bought it in Quebec. Never registered it in Ontario, and had it for 2 years in his garage while his girlfriend was trying to decide if she was going to get her permit or not. This caused a bit of an issue QC is the only province in Canada where if a vehicle was in an accident and written off that you can buy it and rebuild it and license it and drive it. Only issue is you can not transfer the title to anyone else or to any other province and that is what my worry was. But the seller had it checked out the day befor I was supposed to go down and see it. So I do know that it was one owner in QC and then the lad I purchased it from. 17959 km on the clock 11159.51 miles. Today I had to get a second safety and the mechanic (Kawasaki Mechanic for the past 20 years) said it sounded just like brand new, looked really good, chain and sprockets are original. I have the news ones ready for that swap. Now to decide on if and how I want to paint it......lol......

kw-retrorider

Ratman: new 99 sister? I must have missed this....any photos?

CDNRatMan

Mutchu116 today I ordered the sprockets and chain so that this winter I can do the sprocket swap on my new addition to the Drifter Family......my new 99 is getting the same gearing as her sister.......

Zoar

Quote from: Matchu116 on September 06, 2017, 20:32:43 PM

I know it has been covered before about gearing the bike for lower RPMs while highway riding. I have a 2000 800 and I ride 2 up on my cycle a lot. My wife loves riding wit me but I have what seems to be the typical searching for a 6th gear that I don't have issue. What would be a good gearing to get for 2 up riding and a lot of around town riding? Any info would be great I am taking an almost 400 mile trip with the wife and friends and would like to get this done before it.

I bought my 2002 last year. It came with the BELT conversion.  I never search for the next year and it has plenty of power in acceleration from stop or low speeds. It has been all good.

CDNRatMan

::)Thank you and it was also my chance to host a second Drifter event in Canada and again the first of its kind in Nova Scotia Canada......

Trall

Wow 3000 miles that's not a trip that is is definitely an  Adventure.
Welcome home.

Quote from: CDNRatMan on September 06, 2017, 21:23:10 PM

Mr. Matchu116:
I today have just finished a ride of a bit over 5000 kms or 3000 miles and I had enough gear on the back to be a second little person with my fat butt. I took Mr. Greenbarn's suggestion after I bought the 800 and did the sprocket swap. I ran along at about 65 mph all day long never had an issue, the bike performed as it should and was expected, I find nothing negative about the swap and it is not that dear of a price and is very simple to do on your own......

CDNRatMan

Mr. Matchu116:
I today have just finished a ride of a bit over 5000 kms or 3000 miles and I had enough gear on the back to be a second little person with my fat butt. I took Mr. Greenbarn's suggestion after I bought the 800 and did the sprocket swap. I ran along at about 65 mph all day long never had an issue, the bike performed as it should and was expected, I find nothing negative about the swap and it is not that dear of a price and is very simple to do on your own......

greenbarn

Stock is 17/40.   Most people I have seen posted on a gearing change have gone to 18/38.   I put this up with the top 3 800 mods.   The top end is a lot lower RPM, doesn't feel like it's screaming any more at 70 MPH, and I noticed no loss of power at low end, even when riding 2-up.

No Worries

Matchu116

I know it has been covered before about gearing the bike for lower RPMs while highway riding. I have a 2000 800 and I ride 2 up on my cycle a lot. My wife loves riding wit me but I have what seems to be the typical searching for a 6th gear that I don't have issue. What would be a good gearing to get for 2 up riding and a lot of around town riding? Any info would be great I am taking an almost 400 mile trip with the wife and friends and would like to get this done before it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk