Vulcan Drifter Riders

• November 20, 2017, 13:04:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing Rear Wiring Harness  (Read 176 times)

Plainsdrifter

• Prospect
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: Kawasaki W-650
  • View Gallery
Replacing Rear Wiring Harness
« on: July 07, 2017, 22:02:40 PM »

Has anyone replaced the rear wiring harness?  My tail light broke off after hitting a lot of potholes on an interstate and tore off the wiring it was connected to.  I have a replacement tail light, but was wondering what it takes to replace the rear wiring harness.  Can i do it without taking the bike apart very much?  I am only slightly mechanically inclined.  Thanks!

Troll

• Motorcycle Rider ED. Coach
  • Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Kawasaki W-650
  • VDR#: 825
  • View Gallery
    • A.B.A.T.E. of Wi. SafeRider program
Re: Replacing Rear Wiring Harness
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 04:16:30 AM »

the rear harness extends from the swing arm pivot on the left side (under the black plastic cover, one phillips screw) to the rear connections. Remove the rear fender and it shouldn't take more that 1/2 hour to replace....including the time to r&r the fender.
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

drifter-paul

• Supporting Member
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
Re: Replacing Rear Wiring Harness
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 05:00:58 AM »

Easy peasy, as Troll indicated - better with a helper, but to do solo ---

1.  Remove 8mm bolt between shock and sidecover (R) side
2. Same on left, plus Phillips screw to remove black plastic cover, wiggle rubber connector off tab on swingarm, use small screwdriver to depress tab and ease connection apart
3. Undo two (L) 17mm bolts holding rails to shaft drive hub
4. Undo lower 17mm on (R) side - leaving upper 17mm nut holding mudguard in place
5. Slip left  hand under side of mudguard (above axle), hold your shin against rear of guard, undo last 17mm bolt, drop it, gently lift guard up and back without scratching it

NOTE: From memory , the one short 17mm bolt , will be the last one removed, the other 3 , are the same length.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!