Vulcan Drifter Riders

• November 17, 2017, 13:39:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality Tire?  (Read 380 times)

hawkfan

Quality Tire?
« on: June 02, 2017, 18:16:57 PM »

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to replace my tires and am looking for some input or suggestions on what are the good tires out there.  I currently have Shinko white all tires on my 1500.  I installed them about 2 years ago and they are close to being worn out after only 13,000 miles.  I feel they wore out rather quickly.  I checked tire PSI every two weeks 29 F 36 R. Is that what is expected from motorcycle tire life?
Anyway, I want to stay with the white wall.  Any suggestions for a good tire to look into?

Thanks

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: Snow Blower
  • VDR#: 1038
  • View Gallery
Re: Quality Tire?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 20:05:42 PM »

Metz 888's in WWW......
GPS is not to get you “THERE”……but rather to get you home from “THERE”

hawkfan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 20:22:54 PM »

I'm actually considering those!

Thanks

Old Drifter

• Supporting Member
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 21:34:38 PM »

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to replace my tires and am looking for some input or suggestions on what are the good tires out there.  I currently have Shinko white all tires on my 1500.  I installed them about 2 years ago and they are close to being worn out after only 13,000 miles.  I feel they wore out rather quickly.  I checked tire PSI every two weeks 29 F 36 R. Is that what is expected from motorcycle tire life?
Anyway, I want to stay with the white wall.  Any suggestions for a good tire to look into?

Thanks

I think you've done well getting 13k out of a set of tires.
Gene

1999 Drifter

Troll

• Motorcycle Rider ED. Coach
  • Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Kawasaki W-650
  • VDR#: 825
  • View Gallery
    • A.B.A.T.E. of Wi. SafeRider program
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 02:29:24 AM »

Michelins wear well, figure 24000 on a rear, 18000 on a front. I switched back to Metzelers, using the current "ultra" version. So far, the wear is about the same for the rear, but much better for the front. The front tire wearing out prematurely was the reason for the switch. It happened twice, so it wasn't just one tire with a problem.
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

hawkfan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »

Thanks for the responses!

Old Drifter

• Supporting Member
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 14:49:07 PM »

FYI, my experience with Michelin Commander II's hasn't been good. Two rears and one front were out of round.
Gene

1999 Drifter

pcarrell

• Asst. Admin
  • I ride a : Still looking/wishing
  • VDR#: 554
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 16:12:43 PM »

I got good wear out of a set of Continental Milestones, and they were even good in the wet.
Ride Safe,
Pastor Dude

I think sometimes folks are just a little too hung up about oils & filters & coolant & specs & spark plugs & tires & torque & values & brakes & shift levers & seats & cleanliness & light bulbs & stuff. ;D

indue

• View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 18:45:11 PM »

I have the ME880's and I have been impressed with the mileage-10,000 and counting. I did have a problem with the rear tires' inner tube so I upgraded to a Michelin heavy duty inner tube and an additional rim strip because one is not quite sufficient as with 2. You can effectively cover any roughness from the spokes. I also glued them down so they wouldn't move. I have used Michelin and Pirelli in the past but they don't make a WWW tire. When I do change I will probably go with the ME888's as I have heard good things about them.

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: Snow Blower
  • VDR#: 1038
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 20:41:13 PM »

indue:
        Understanding a difference between the 1500 and the 800 Drifter. I rode 880's from here to Pikeville and down to the Tail of the Dragon and home again along Sky Line Drive, plus all the riding I did around here locally.
   Then switched to the 888's and last summer rode to Sparta, and rode with Troll, GreenBarn and a few others for five days then rode west as far as Billings MT then made a left turn rode to Fargo ND where I turned North and rode home. I found the 888's much better than the 880's, the 888s are super in wet weather and they are just that little bit better, I have a new set sitting in the spare room because I got that at a 50% off sale......lol....really like them......
GPS is not to get you “THERE”……but rather to get you home from “THERE”

rojadon

• Prospect
  • I ride a : No Selection Yet
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 01:15:32 AM »

I got my ME880 from 4wheelonline. I'm happy with the price and performance. They have a good grip on wet roads and stick hard in the corners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!