Vulcan Drifter Riders

• December 12, 2017, 11:44:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:59:04 
Started by rob f - Last post by Old Drifter
Congrats on you're new (to you) Drifter, and as mittico68 said..."we like pics".  8)

on: Today at 01:44:40 
Started by rob f - Last post by mittico68
Thanks to all for the welcome and input. Looks like your posts convinced me to buy. After 12 hrs of drive time this weekend I now own a 2001 red vn800 with 25,00 kms. I just got started on teardown and inspection and am coming up with some questions.
Will get off of the Introduction  segment and drift over to the tech section with them.
Guess that I am now a citizen of Planet Vulcan. What do you guys call yourselves...... Driftheads,
Vulcanites,Cheiftains.........?
R
Well done! But now, your first aim should be posting pics. We DO LIKE PICS!  ::)
I'd call ourselves "Drifter addicted"...  ;D

on: December 11, 2017, 20:50:23 PM 
Started by rob f - Last post by greenbarn
Congratulations, Rob!  Glad you found you a Drifter.  I have a few of the answers to some of your questions, maybe.

Tires-  You will probably not find any tube-type tires being made.  They will most likely all be tubeless - there is no harm in putting tubes in tubeless tires and putting them on spoke rims.  The tubeless tires just have better sealing beads that may (or may not) seal up on the rims to hold air in the tire----  however any air trapped in the tire will just escape through the valve stem hole until the tube fills the tire completely, then it's AOK.

The 18/38 gear set is a GREAT upgrade to the 800.  I rate it in the top 3 upgrades for this bike (along with Grampsizing the carb, and changing  the front fork springs over to Progressive springs).   I noticed NO difference in low end taking off - even with a passenger.  I haven't heard of anyone having a problem, or noticed it suffering in first gear.

Coolant leak-- sorry to hear about that - I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on this forum that has had that problem, but it's bound to happen to some bikes at some point, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your paint fade and such--  that's too bad the bike was left outside so much.   Hmmm   could be a great excuse to go to a 2-tone paint job, though.... LOL....    I do love a 2-tone Drifter!!!

I think the tan or brown leather would look great on the 2003 Red. 

on: December 11, 2017, 19:04:46 PM 
Started by rob f - Last post by rob f
New VDR member ( Rob F.. see introduction post) with vn800.
Started tearing down my newly purchased vn800 with 25,000 kms and have questions.
Am looking at new tires front and back and notice that the are tube types. It appears that this limits the tires i can put on? Not familiar with mixing and matching tubeless tires on rims with tubes. I see that the front tire is an original bridgestone tube type while the back is a spitfire tubeless with tube. Also noticed that there are no balancing weights on the rims. Don't need balancing?
 I see that I have traces of coolant around the weep hole at crankcase bottom. Owner says that coolant is still original . Am changing it and maybe adding water pump lube and sealer. Trying not to change pump seal if I don't have to. This is why I like my air cooled Virago so much.
 Thinking of changing sprocket ratios as OR seedman has done. Does the 18/38 combo make first gear to tall for slow maneuvers? What are the chain size and style recommendations?
I might check valves but they were checked about 4000 miles ago ( so I've been told)
 I bought this bike from the original owner who is now 73 and can't ride anymore. He sold the bike after about 8 years to a friend of his who had it sitting outside in the elements for 7 years.The he bought it back this spring because his buddy needed cash. He said that he was some pissed off that it had sat outside as he babied this thing while he had it.
As a result the paint is somewhat faded on the tank. Any products out there that could bring back the shine? Am thinking of using Plexus on the plastic fenders. The seat has been sun baked and will try some vinyl restore on it but I think its too far gone. I may take it to a local saddlemaker and get him to recover it in tan saddle leather. Might  be a cool color scheme.
That's it for now and thanks for any input.
Rob F

on: December 11, 2017, 18:29:55 PM 
Started by rob f - Last post by rob f
Thanks to all for the welcome and input. Looks like your posts convinced me to buy. After 12 hrs of drive time this weekend I now own a 2001 red vn800 with 25,00 kms. I just got started on teardown and inspection and am coming up with some questions.
Will get off of the Introduction  segment and drift over to the tech section with them.
Guess that I am now a citizen of Planet Vulcan. What do you guys call yourselves...... Driftheads,
Vulcanites,Cheiftains.........?
R

on: December 11, 2017, 16:31:26 PM 
Started by Feed Poster - Last post by Feed Poster
New TVS Apache RR 310 Borrows Engine From BMW G 310 R (Bike Reports) (News)

It is interesting to observe the immense effort put into styling and performance for small displacement, single-cylinder motorcycles in India.  Introduced in India last week, the new TVS Apache RR 310 uses the same single-cylinder engine found in the BMW G 310 R, which MD reported on here. We find the styling, and detailing, quite […]
Source: New TVS Apache RR 310 Borrows Engine From BMW G 310 R (Bike Reports) (News)

Motorcycle Reviews - http://www.motorcycledaily.com

on: December 11, 2017, 09:38:57 AM 
Started by jkpq45 - Last post by OR Seedman
Sorry Pete...I should have excluded you from the grouping.... ::)

on: December 10, 2017, 21:25:37 PM 
Started by CDNRatMan - Last post by CDNRatMan
  on the triple tree plate both say 1/99 and then

Red is 2419

Pearl is 2449.............

on: December 10, 2017, 20:18:08 PM 
Started by grinnell - Last post by Tfrank59
Well you guys gave me the idea for Cadillac lenses, but the funny twist is I decided they'd look better on my other bike, my Valkyrie... 8)

So the rear lenses turned out so nice I went ahead and did the fronts as well. Here's the latest update I know it's not on my drifter but it's not off topic  ::)

reviving an old thread here, could perhaps just begin a new one but...
I'll be making adaptors for these Cadillac lenses to go on the rear of my Drifter 800:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Cadillac-taillight-lenses-one-pair-new/152639434733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Per my post above in April, I already did my other bike's turn signals (front and rear) with the Caddy lenses and I love them, so I'm going to make this one of several winter projects, to get them (red ones this time) on the back of my Drifter.  Will update you when I have them on there... Please stand by.

on: December 10, 2017, 20:15:56 PM 
Started by CDNRatMan - Last post by greenbarn
So what are yours?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!