seats for my 2002- 1500drifter any good stylish Corbin seats will work

Started by Lonewolf, June 22, 2017, 19:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indue

Since I didn't take pictures and I did not have a thorough plan I had to develop on the fly. It took several attempts to get the sizes right of all the components. I had previously cut off the holes for the original brackets cleaning that area considerably and painting it in 2 part black epoxy. When the seat arrived I couldn't imagine what they were thinking as to the forward mount on the washer/tank tie down. So i used 2-3 mm G-10 shaped to accept the washer. Attached with #10 screws and slow  epoxy. Next I turned my attention on how to attach the springs. There are 2 mounting holes for the brackets. The one that they supplied (with the Corbin seat) were much smaller lengthwise than the ones I had on there so, I put on the brackets I had before and went out to ride it. (This is also when I had the original shocks on). I also put a couple of dabs of grease under the seat edge to see if the seat was hitting the rear rack which it was. But the ride? It was not a lot different than a hardtail. I went on a 200 mile ride with my riding buddy and my back was knocked out for over a week. This is when I decided to put springs on the seat and get some better shocks (Hagon) and cut out a section of the rear of the seat in a semi-circle fashion so that when the swingarm rises up it doesn't contact the seat with the rear rack. This area is not really seen as the fringe and skirt hide it. I used mild steel for the upper brackets and the lower ones as it is bendable. Fender washers are needed to secure the spring to the brackets. On the upper brackets because the seat has a curve in it I used 6-mm phenolic resin cut and shaped to fit those curves so that the mounting surface was level. You need to fasten the whole spring and brackets ahead of time for fitment to the seat. I got some longer M6 bolts and fastened the upper brackets to the seat with the shaped phenolic underneath. Then I applied (after cleaning and sanding to remove mold release agent) slow epoxy to most of the upper bracket except the bolt heads. Next was to set the seat and see where the brackets would align on the frame. Because that frame has somewhat of a peak to it and not a flat surface if I ever did another one I would grind down that peak. But I didn't. I drilled holes to accept a bolt through the frame thus fastening the bracket with spring attached to seat and tightened down. Now the seat was in place but the front tie down did not fit so out came the Dremel and I shaped more to fit. The amazing thing is that after I did that the seat front end stayed on but you could just shift the seat forward and the whole seat would swing up so that you could get to the battery! Because of the curvature of the seat when you aren't on the bike the seat does not rest on the frame but when you sit on it it compresses down to rest the rubber bumpers on the frame tubes. How does it ride? Great! Now if you go over a 4" bump or pothole the seat will bottom out but it gives you that extra shock absorption coupled with much better shocks. On smooth roads it really is smooth. We have a lot of very bad roads including choppy cement freeways here in SoCal. I have a bad back and was thinking I was going to have to sell the Drifter and buy something else but, now I don't have to.

greenbarn

Quote from: chief on June 24, 2017, 10:39:21 AM

I'd be interested in seeing that setup. Others might want to duplicate it.

Me too.  Since the seats bolt on to the frame, where do you put the springs?  Please share.

No Worries

chief

Quote from: indue on June 24, 2017, 09:49:04 AM

I put 2" springs  under mine to soften the ride.

I'd be interested in seeing that setup. Others might want to duplicate it.
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

indue

Yeah they do, just make sure when you are entering your choices (studs etc,) that you double check everything as they are (in my case) very hard to get ahold of either by email or phone to change anything or correct mistakes. Also some modification is necessary, at least on mine it was. I put 2" springs  under mine to soften the ride.

chief

Yeah Corbin makes them. I sold one recently and still have a black backrest for sale... look in accessories for sale.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

greenbarn

Like Old-Drifter said - I think Corbin still makes these, as far as I know.  Otherwise, if you want a used one, then you are stuck with someone selling on here on this forum, Ebay, or one of the other forums or facebook Drifter pages. 

No Worries

Old Drifter

Quote from: Lonewolf on June 22, 2017, 19:01:33 PM

Any one know where I can get a stylish Corbin solo seat with back rest for my 2002 drifter 1500 and other accessories

Corbin, they may still be available.

Looks like they are still available, look here... http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/drift_menu.shtml

Gene

1999 Drifter

Lonewolf

Any one know where I can get a stylish Corbin solo seat with back rest for my 2002 drifter 1500 and other accessories

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk