800 Dual Exhaust One Pipe On Each Side

Started by Zoar, August 16, 2017, 11:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenbarn

Quote from: mittico68 on March 07, 2018, 02:32:02 AM

Cool!
Could you post some more pics, if possible, taken from the side? Thanx.

Yes, I'd like to see the crossover pipe

No Worries

mittico68

Quote from: hog77el on March 07, 2018, 00:07:45 AM

going on 7 years now. I have very little investment in my duals

Cool!
Could you post some more pics, if possible, taken from the side? Thanx.

I love my swingin' bike!

hog77el

going on 7 years now. I have very little investment in my duals

j

OR Seedman

man that u-turn really sticks out from the side.....I don't care how much tape you wrap on it....that's an inner thigh burner for sure...LOL

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

Yes wonder where the battery is and all the electronics from the left side cover.........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Ogri

I really like the repositioning of the headlight, I prefer the upper edge to be above the top of the tank; creating one continuous line that sweeps down to the rear.

I'm not sure about the rear cylinder's header and how the exhaust gases are going to flow along that tortuous route. But then I know Jack S about exhausts.

mittico68

Guys, while I was roamin' on the internet, I came across this 800 Drifter with a real twin exhaust!
As far as I can see, the owner has used the room underneath the seat frame to let the rear pipe go on the other side.
Here's the link: //www.subito.it/moto-e-scooter/kawasaki-vn-drifter-800-customizzato-brescia-235691508.htm
I wonder where he put all the OEM cables...

I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

that's an excellent idea....I will definitely look into that for next spring....

OR Seedman

Tfrank59

Well one inch away may actually melt the bottom of the hard bags in the heat of summer on a long ride. What you might consider doing is buying some Muffler insulation tape and sticking it to the bottom of your hard bags just in case.  I had to do that once with a dirt bike I had because the rear blinker was very close to the exhaust and it would eventually have melted the abs without the insulation tape I put on there. Just a thought.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Zoar

Quote from: OR Seedman on November 22, 2017, 18:12:50 PM

yeah...the way the lids are on these bags, you can only set them so low.  Mine are mounted right up against the bottom edge of the lid....but it gives me exactly 1" clearance above the upper exhaust pipe.  When I put my 240lbs down on the seat, the fender then comes up above the tops of the bags....so it looks good when riding...

Yea, I mounted mine right against the lid as well, and they sat far too high until I had that local welder modify the brackets. They sit one inch above the pipe now. Which is as low as I think they can sit and not melt from the exhaust pipe.

OR Seedman

yeah...the way the lids are on these bags, you can only set them so low.  Mine are mounted right up against the bottom edge of the lid....but it gives me exactly 1" clearance above the upper exhaust pipe.  When I put my 240lbs down on the seat, the fender then comes up above the tops of the bags....so it looks good when riding...

OR Seedman

Zoar

Quote from: OR Seedman on November 21, 2017, 16:58:32 PM

Looks good.....same bags I have on my 800, although mine do sit a little higher

Yea, I had to have local welder cut the others attach a new piece, re-weld and re-paint in order to get the bag to sit just below the fender and NOT way up too high.

OR Seedman

Looks good.....same bags I have on my 800, although mine do sit a little higher

OR Seedman

Zoar

Quote from: Zoar on August 21, 2017, 09:25:31 AM

I think the problem is the fishtail and the fact the pipes are just too high. Even if I extend the pipes or take off the fish tail I think that top pipe is HIGH, making the bags would sit too high.

The only other pipes I have seen that seem to sit lower are the Road Burners, but they are so FREAKIN LOUD and make BIG CRACKING BLATS! I could not stand that FREAKIN noise!

I would accept two pipes on one side of even ONE both going into ONE pipe if it sat lower than my fish tails/with or without the top fin. (And putting  stock pipes are out because they sound terrible in my opinion).

Are there other pipes out here other after market than Road Burner that sit low and have a deep sound, but not CRACKING LOUD noise?

Okay, so, it has been a shitshow. I got the new exhaust pipe (singular custom made) and on and put one saddle bag on and it sat about 4 inches TOO HIGH. It looked wrong, but I took the Drifter for a ride and the bike ran like CRAP and I had to abandon it at bike repair shop. I could not even make up a 2 degree incline. Good thing repair shop is 2 miles from house house and all down hill. It turns out it was BAD GASOLINE!!! I went to the gas station that has NON Ethanol and 93 Octane. Well, they sold me bad gas.... Anyhow I finally got the bike back and the bracket for the hard bags cut, a piece added, re-welded, and repainted.... Wow, this whole ordeal has taken 2 months... But I finally have the bike and I rode it in 32 degree temps back to my house! It looks fabulous. See attached pics.

Zoar

Quote from: OR Seedman on August 21, 2017, 09:51:26 AM

I have the Roadburners as well.  I believe there are baffles that you can put in them to reduce the noise....I think that there were some different options posted in the forum here not too long ago...

My Roadburner exhaust doesn't seem that loud to me....but I never really open the throttle up full bore either....I am a pretty mellow rider...

I could be wrong but I am 99.9% certain I went this route with Road Burners last year. I contacted them and they said the baffles are NO LONGER available, so all they have are the really, really LOUD Road Burners.

OR Seedman

I have the Roadburners as well.  I believe there are baffles that you can put in them to reduce the noise....I think that there were some different options posted in the forum here not too long ago...

My Roadburner exhaust doesn't seem that loud to me....but I never really open the throttle up full bore either....I am a pretty mellow rider...

OR Seedman

Zoar

Quote from: OR Seedman on August 16, 2017, 13:08:08 PM

is it the fishtail end that sticks up too high?  I have seen exhaust sets with one end (the upper one) shorter than the other.  this would definitely be in the way of the bags.  When I mounted mine bags with the 2 roadburner pipes on one side, I left about 1" between the bag and the upper pipe and the sit nicely, especially when I put my big butt down on the seat..but I don't have the fishtail tips...

I have seen one dual exhaust setup on a drifter 800...they snaked the front cylinder exhaust around the front of the bike and ran it down the left side...in my opinion it looked AWFUL...totally ruined the lines of the bike...but hey, that's just my humble opinion.

the only option I can see is to extended the pipes enough that the bag clears the tips on the right side.....if anyone else has any ideas, please let Zoar know....I want happy customers

I think the problem is the fishtail and the fact the pipes are just too high. Even if I extend the pipes or take off the fish tail I think that top pipe is HIGH, making the bags would sit too high.

The only other pipes I have seen that seem to sit lower are the Road Burners, but they are so FREAKIN LOUD and make BIG CRACKING BLATS! I could not stand that FREAKIN noise!

I would accept two pipes on one side of even ONE both going into ONE pipe if it sat lower than my fish tails/with or without the top fin. (And putting  stock pipes are out because they sound terrible in my opinion).

Are there other pipes out here other after market than Road Burner that sit low and have a deep sound, but not CRACKING LOUD noise?

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

Tfrank59

Quote from: CDNRatMan on August 19, 2017, 04:26:17 AM

:o backpressure, I know nothing about this and so was just asking......and if you look close at the picture you posted the 1500 has lots of room to make this mod, the 800 has no or next to no room for a mod like that ......

Oh yeah, forgot about that monoshock link and chain drive.  Dang!
Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

mittico68

I do agree with Ratman: the 800 has got no (or next to) room underneath the rear portion of the frame.
Maybe, a flat pipe could be good to cross it...

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

:o backpressure, I know nothing about this and so was just asking......and if you look close at the picture you posted the 1500 has lots of room to make this mod, the 800 has no or next to no room for a mod like that ......

Tfrank59

Have you seen this? I know it's a 1500 Drifter but it's basically the same process for an 800
https://goo.gl/images/yCkRQr

Tom

Tfrank59

Of course you can do anything you want especially if you have the right bending equipment and so forth but you have to have pretty much equal back pressure on both cylinders or it causes problems no?

Tom

CDNRatMan

Now back to Zoar's question, and if I am incorrect then please be gentle in telling me. Zoar wants a exhaust on both sides of his 800.

So I have seen all these bike building, custom chopper, shows and they build their own exhaust systems to fit the bike. So if Zoar has access to an exhaust place why can he not get them to build a system that would fit under the 800 and not be super large and can be narrow or thin in build.

geewago

Quote from: CDNRatMan on August 17, 2017, 15:52:09 PM

Contact GreenBarn he has a set of them and think he is selling them worth the ask

Thanks.  I sent him a message.  Hopefully I'll hear from him.  If he doesn't have any I'm pretty sure I can just improvise something from some other brand of bars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk