new drifter vn 800 owner in canada with mech questions

Started by rob f, December 11, 2017, 19:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

Rob go to the FortNine site and type in the OEM part number and see what the result is. I have bought a number of OEM screws and bolts because I do not want to deal with the local owner of the Kaw shop.
FortNine also had parts that were broken on the bike and they carried the parts in stock, or they have access to the parts within a few days.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

rob f

yah, most of the parts I need are OEM specific and sure that fortnine wouldn't have them. Definitely will be getting tires and generic parts from them though.
I was hoping that Kawi had an online warehouse in Canada. Dealers have too much markup.
Kawasaki Nation has good  parts Fisches and has pricing also right on the Fische page.
R

CDNRatMan

Robert:
I use Ron Ayers site because of the pictures and I can get the part numbers from them:

http://shop.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

I then go to FortNine to order or at least to see if they have the parts in stock.So far I have been lucky in getting all the parts I needed.
If you live close to CowTown you can just order the parts and have them waiting for you. Not sure if you have a decent Kaw dealership in the area either...........

rob f

Oil screen? Dang... just changed oil.
I didn't get an OP manual with the bike, but owner did have a tech manual that I have been using.
Have been using it and online parts schematics for any mech work..... Didn't see the screen( but i do now)
Will follow your lead and drill out the grease zerk hole and reinstall with a pipe plug after greasing.
As far as the muffler goes, I see that on the oem parts catologue that there are indead 3 grommets used on the muffler attaching points. I will be ordering them. Which brings me to my next question........... Where is the best Canadian  online site for Kawi oem parts? I have found this US site:https://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/  but shipping is a little confusing with duty and taxes. Not to mention the money exchange rate.
R

CDNRatMan

Ok did you change out the oil screen on the left side of the bike and check the rubbers on those parts?

Starter Relay I'll have to listen to mine......never noticed......

Yes the stock muffler was hard mounted to the frame, but you can add a rubber gasket or grommet there also will not hurt anything. I did on my Roadhouse exhaust, on the stock will also this winter.

LOL Grease (Zerk for our American Friends) fitting, both mine on each bike has been either seared off or removed. On Red it was sheared off, and so I just drilled and tapped the hole to the next size, then listening to the lads on the UK site I removed the fitting and put a short bolt in there. When greasing is required I swap the fitting with the bolt. On Pearl not sure yet as to what the issue is till I get it apart.

Check out the links and Articles tabs ( top of the page) and do some reading on maintenance and mods on the 800 lots of info hidden in there.....

Ok I also use a K&N air filter be aware if you happen to buy a pre lubed one do not oil it or it will starve the engine of air....lol......

rob f

Good advice on the tubes and liners.
Found more stuff today while changing oil.
Starter relay (next to battery) buzzes before delayed starter engagement.
Muffler is hard bolted to frame. looks like grommets should be there instead. Makes sense to me that if the engine has rubber mounts shouldn't the exhaust also?
Grease fitting is wiped right off of the rear shock pivot arm. What an idiotic design that a grease fitting is the lowest part on the bike. Anyone else missing this on theirs?
Buddy before me had a K&n air filter on but guess he didn't realize that he had to oil it.

More to come i'm sure.
R

CDNRatMan

Just my personal peace of mind issue, I replace the tubes and the rim liner every time I replace the tire, for the cost involved it is well worth it.
I will be taking the wheels off of Pearl this winter to do some work on the rims which will require the removal of the rubber. When I replace the rubber I am going to replace the rim liners and the tues just again for my piece of mind. I am also getting the spokes trued to be sure all is well and all new wheel bearings, front and rear. When I do the rear shock all the bearings involved will be replaced also, again so I can ride without second guessing any issues......

rob f

thanks for the valuable info.
Didn't know that there was a Fortnine in Calgary. Have used them extensively in the past for parts.
If you look on your oil pan there is a small  coolant drain bolt  with a dummy hole right next to it. The dummy hole is what they call a waterpump "weep hole". It allows coolant out if the waterpump seal springs a leak. Mine is damp with a slime trail across the pan. I am hoping that it is due to hardening of the seals rubber and may fix it by changing coolant and adding a coolant conditioner so as to soften the seal.
Going to change fluids in the next few days so may have more questions coming. So far have the seat and back fender off and these bikes seem to be built simple and easy to work on.
Been studying up on tires as I've never had a tubed tire on a road bike ( seems like they should be on a pre 1970's machine not on a 2001)
i found this article to be helpfull ( but long)
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/section6.htm
My rims are marked MT so I am assuming that a bias ply tubeless used with a tube is safe.
Also discovered from this article that I should be using "tire talk" not household talk to prevent tube to tire chaffing. and not to tighten the valve stem nut tight to the rim.
Look at all the stuff I am learning by having a Drifter.
R

CDNRatMan

Robert a good evening to you Sir;

When I bought my first 800 back in 2012, this forum became my bible and hang out place, I followed GreenBarn's advice about the sprocket swap and have not looked back because it is a really nice mod. If you do this over the winter you will have forgotten what the bike rode like in the fall once spring has sprung. Just remember to use steel sprockets. I ride 2 up and have never noticed any detrimental effects with this mod.
Tires: I deal with http://www.petes-superbike.com and have never had any problems with their delivery times. Also just remember that you will need a 908 bend in the rear tube air valve.  also do not have any weights on my spokes or rims as I am a huge fan of
http://www.counteractbalancing.com/  I have been using these with huge success for the past 5 years. Also it is a Canadian product.
Coolant leak: I had a few but I found that just tightening the hose clamps a bit and it was fine. I have never noticed and leaking or weeping any other places. Neither bike has had issues with coolant leaks touch wood.
You might also want to check out FortNine.ca and they have really treated me well and provided me with lots of good parts, they also carry lots of Kawasaki parts, if you have the parts numbers. They also have a store in Calgary.

greenbarn

Congratulations, Rob!  Glad you found you a Drifter.  I have a few of the answers to some of your questions, maybe.

Tires-  You will probably not find any tube-type tires being made.  They will most likely all be tubeless - there is no harm in putting tubes in tubeless tires and putting them on spoke rims.  The tubeless tires just have better sealing beads that may (or may not) seal up on the rims to hold air in the tire----  however any air trapped in the tire will just escape through the valve stem hole until the tube fills the tire completely, then it's AOK.

The 18/38 gear set is a GREAT upgrade to the 800.  I rate it in the top 3 upgrades for this bike (along with Grampsizing the carb, and changing  the front fork springs over to Progressive springs).   I noticed NO difference in low end taking off - even with a passenger.  I haven't heard of anyone having a problem, or noticed it suffering in first gear.

Coolant leak-- sorry to hear about that - I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on this forum that has had that problem, but it's bound to happen to some bikes at some point, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your paint fade and such--  that's too bad the bike was left outside so much.   Hmmm   could be a great excuse to go to a 2-tone paint job, though.... LOL....    I do love a 2-tone Drifter!!!

I think the tan or brown leather would look great on the 2003 Red. 

No Worries

rob f

New VDR member ( Rob F.. see introduction post) with vn800.
Started tearing down my newly purchased vn800 with 25,000 kms and have questions.
Am looking at new tires front and back and notice that the are tube types. It appears that this limits the tires i can put on? Not familiar with mixing and matching tubeless tires on rims with tubes. I see that the front tire is an original bridgestone tube type while the back is a spitfire tubeless with tube. Also noticed that there are no balancing weights on the rims. Don't need balancing?
I see that I have traces of coolant around the weep hole at crankcase bottom. Owner says that coolant is still original . Am changing it and maybe adding water pump lube and sealer. Trying not to change pump seal if I don't have to. This is why I like my air cooled Virago so much.
Thinking of changing sprocket ratios as OR seedman has done. Does the 18/38 combo make first gear to tall for slow maneuvers? What are the chain size and style recommendations?
I might check valves but they were checked about 4000 miles ago ( so I've been told)
I bought this bike from the original owner who is now 73 and can't ride anymore. He sold the bike after about 8 years to a friend of his who had it sitting outside in the elements for 7 years.The he bought it back this spring because his buddy needed cash. He said that he was some pissed off that it had sat outside as he babied this thing while he had it.
As a result the paint is somewhat faded on the tank. Any products out there that could bring back the shine? Am thinking of using Plexus on the plastic fenders. The seat has been sun baked and will try some vinyl restore on it but I think its too far gone. I may take it to a local saddlemaker and get him to recover it in tan saddle leather. Might  be a cool color scheme.
That's it for now and thanks for any input.
Rob F

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk