Recent posts

Arai XD-5 Dual-Sport Helmet Preview 2024

Arai Helmet, Inc. has released its new XD-5 dual-sport helmet, a multipurpose piece of gear that features the latest protective technology and materials along with a design aimed to appeal to a wide variety of riders. The new XD-5 is available now and starts at $839.95 for standard, solid colors while graphic options will run you up to $949.95.

The new Arai XD-5 is great for on- and off-road use.
The new Arai XD-5 is great for on- and off-road use. (Arai/)

The XD-5 makes use of a brand-new exterior shell shape that is smoother and rounder than before, utilizing Super Fiber belt material in the forehead area to reinforce impact protection in this key area. The rest of the PB-cLc2 shell is handmade and aims to strike a balance between superior protection and weight savings, while the 5mm-wider chin bar area makes putting the helmet on and taking it off easier than before. A single-piece, multi-density EPS liner inside is optimized for the new shell shape to disperse impact forces effectively.

Related: Motorcycle Helmet - Basic Training - MC Garage

A brand-new shell shape is rounder and smoother than before.
A brand-new shell shape is rounder and smoother than before. (Arai/)

The visor system of the XD-5 is the star of the show in terms of innovation, utilizing the brand's new VAS-A system derived from the visor setup on the Corsair-X. The visor, and shield, are designed to provide optimal visibility, to enhance glance-off performance in the event of a crash, and to make installation and removal easy. The Max Vision visor allows for a Pinlock 120XLT lens insert to be installed, and the toolless attachment design makes it simple to make the XD-5 ready for on- and off-road use.

Arai made its new visor and face shield easy to take off or install without the need for tools.
Arai made its new visor and face shield easy to take off or install without the need for tools. (Arai/)

The interior liner is fully removable and washable, making use of Arai's FCS cheek pad system so riders can dial the fit to their needs. The cheek pad setup also comes with a new hook-and-loop fastener to make communication system installation easier.

Ventilation is optimized with the latest Arai ducting, using the 3D logo duct on the crown and a newly designed chin intake vent to increase airflow volume up to 200 percent.

Related: Helmet Size and Fit | MC GARAGE VIDEO

Arai utilizes its 3D duct intake vent and a revised chin intake to increase airflow volume up to 200 percent.
Arai utilizes its 3D duct intake vent and a revised chin intake to increase airflow volume up to 200 percent. (Arai/)The lining system is completely removable and washable.
The lining system is completely removable and washable. (Arai/)The revised interior makes installing communications systems simple.
The revised interior makes installing communications systems simple. (Arai/)The chin bar area is 5mm wider to make putting the helmet on and taking it off more comfortable.
The chin bar area is 5mm wider to make putting the helmet on and taking it off more comfortable. (Arai/)Ditch the face shield, replace with goggles, and you're ready to take the XD-5 off-road.
Ditch the face shield, replace with goggles, and you're ready to take the XD-5 off-road. (Arai/)

Source: Arai XD-5 Dual-Sport Helmet Preview 2024

Courtesy of Motorcyclist Magazine
General Discussion / Re: Ted's Drifter Shifters
Last post by mittico68 - Yesterday at 02:59:00 AM
If I can chime in, I would really recommend those Ted's hand shifters as I've bought one a few years ago (He said that was the last one!) and I'm really happy with it (I've just switched the oem knob for an "8" billiard ball).  8)
People seeing it, always ask me what is it for; and when I explain them its use, they always like it!
General Discussion / Re: Ted's Drifter Shifters
Last post by Shon - April 14, 2024, 21:19:09 PM
I've got my fingers crossed in the hope that you made my shifter kit back in 2000. I installed it on an 800 that I have long since parted with.  Now my left ankle isn't working & I'm again looking .  Do you have a site & are the kits still available ?
 Thanks, Shon
General Discussion / Re: Add On Hand Shifter
Last post by Shon - April 14, 2024, 21:11:13 PM
In 2000 I added a hand shifter to my 800 drifter. It worked great & that's actually why I'm back on this owners group site. The shifter was located & operated with the right hand while the clutch remained on the left handlebar.  I'm looking forward any information that might be out there as I can't find my old manual & builders notes. 
Top 5 Features of the Honda Rebel 1100T Bagger

On the heels of Honda's awesome Rebel 1100 cruiser (read or watch it in action during the 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 MC Commute Review and Is Honda's 2021 Rebel 1100 DCT Cruiser a Modern Sportster?), Big Red adds a variation to its new motorcycle model lineup with the Rebel 1100T. Sporting a batwing-type fairing and lockable hard cases, the Rebel 1100T is the more touring-ready streetbike in the lovable Rebel family. Here are the top five features of Honda's Rebel 1100T bagger.

1. This motorcycle is <b>powered by Honda's 1,083cc parallel-twin engine</b>. It puts out right around 80 hp (and 68 lb.-ft. torque) to the 16-inch rear wheel.
  2. This is <b>hard to believe, but this motorcycle is fully automatic</b>. It benefits from American Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission, which allows for immediate up- and downshifts without having to use the clutch. Yes!
  3. We love the styling of the motorcycle with this <b>batwing-inspired fairing and these lockable hard cases</b> which you can use to store your goodies when you're riding.
  4. This bike has a super-low seat height (27.5 inches) and it is <b>very easy to ride</b>.
  5. And lastly, if you want a <b>stylish and capable cruiser that's not going to break the bank</b>, just north of $11,000 (2023 model), this Rebel 1100T fits the bill.

We'll see you in the next episode!

Source: Top 5 Features of the Honda Rebel 1100T Bagger

Bike Articles, Reviews and News / May 2024
Last post by Feed Poster - April 13, 2024, 10:02:58 AM
May 2024

In this issue, we review the Honda Rebel 1100T DCT in bagger trim with saddlebags and fairing, the updated 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide and Street Glide, and the 2024 CFMOTO 450NK naked bike.

Kickstarts has first looks at new models from Indian Motorcycle, Triumph, and MV Agusta, and our Minnesota Travel Guide will help you plan your next moto trip to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

This issue includes two On the Road features about exploring Tennessee and Kentucky from Nashville and a father-son motorcycle trip in southern Minnesota. And for our Favorite Ride, EIC Greg Drevenstedt takes a trip to Duluth, Minnesota, to tour the Aerostich factory and explore the surrounding area.

Our Exhaust Note comes from Tash Matsuoka, Rider's chief editor from 1983-1989, and Quinn Redeker discusses footing while countersteering in Motor School. Celebrating Rider's 50th anniversary, our Rider Rewind section showcases an interesting fuel economy streamliner from the 1980s.

Additional stories in the May issue of Rider:

• 2023 Honda Rebel 1100T DCT | Riden & Rated

• 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide and Street Glide | First Ride

• 2024 CFMOTO 450NK | First Ride

• Minnesota Travel Guide

• Southern Exposure | On the Road

• Beauty in Bluff Country | On the Road6

• From Aerostich to Skyline Parkway | Favorite Ride

• Rider-Sponsored Fuel Economy Streamliner | Rider Rewind

• And more!

The post May 2024 appeared first on Rider Magazine.

Source: May 2024

Courtesy of Rider Magazine - http://ridermagazine.com
Colorado Legalizes Lane Filtering

Lane Splitting Lane Filterning
Colorado becomes the fifth state to legalize lane filtering, allowing motorcyclists to filter through stopped traffic. Photo by Kevin Wing.

Colorado has passed a bill to allow motorcycles to lane filter between stopped cars, becoming the fifth state to legalize it after California, Utah, Montana, and Arizona.

Lane sharing remains a controversial topic. In his article "Split Decision: Are Lane Splitting and Lane Filtering Safe?" Eric Trow references studies to show the effects of lane sharing in states where it is legal and found that the practice reduces the risk of rear-end collisions and reduces injuries, although it also introduces some new risks. You can find a deeper dive into the topic of lane sharing by reading Trow's article.

Read “Split Decision: Are Lane Splitting and Lane Filtering Safe?” here

The Colorado bill goes into effect on Aug. 7, 2024, and it will allow motorcyclists to filter through stopped traffic at a speed of 15 mph or less. For more information on the bill, read the American Motorcyclists Association's press release below.

Colorado Signs Motorcycle Lane-Filtering Legislation into Law

Colorado has become the fifth state to legalize lane filtering after Gov. Jared Polis (D) signed SB24-079 on April 4, allowing motorcycles to filter between stopped cars in traffic and at stoplights.

The bill passed through both the Colorado House and Senate behind strong bipartisan support. Colorado now joins California, Utah, Montana, and Arizona as states with lane-filtering legislation signed into law.

“The signing of SB24-079 is a significant win for motorcyclists in the state of Colorado," AMA Central States Representative Nick Sands said. "With this new legislation, motorcyclists will now be allowed to filter through stopped traffic, giving riders the ability to legally remove themselves from vulnerable traffic situations before ever coming into contact with a distracted or inattentive driver.”

The bill — sponsored by Sens. Nick Hinrichsen (D-Pueblo) and Jim Smallwood (R-Douglas), as well as Reps. Javier Mabrey (D-Denver, Jefferson) and Ron Weinberg (R-Larimer) — will go into effect on Aug. 7, 2024. It will allow all motorcycles to pass stopped motor vehicles in the same lane. Motorcycles will be required to travel 15 miles per hour or less when filtering and will only be allowed to do so if the road has lanes wide enough to pass safely. Conditions must also allow for "prudent operation of the motorcycle while overtaking or passing."

For the next three years, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) will collect safety data on lane filtering and issue a report to the Colorado General Assembly regarding the newly passed law.

The AMA continues to support efforts regarding lane-filtering legislation, as its success in several other states indicates its long-term viability in protecting motorcyclists on the open road.

To stay up to date on the latest lane filtering news, visit the AMA Action Center.

The AMA's position on lane filtering, and lane splitting, can be found here.

The post Colorado Legalizes Lane Filtering appeared first on Rider Magazine.

Source: Colorado Legalizes Lane Filtering

MV Agusta International Women's Day Event

This year's International Women's Day (IWD) held particular significance for me as I had the distinct privilege of touring the KTM North American headquarters for esteemed motorcycle brands such as KTM, Husqvarna, GasGas, and a newcomer to the company, MV Agusta.  

The evening before the IWD ride, Olivia Goheen (MV Agusta's Marketing Manager) invited all the female media personnel to dinner. Upon arrival at Gourmet Italia in Temecula, I greeted both familiar faces and new acquaintances. The evening unfolded with a delightful dinner, engaging conversations, and a convivial atmosphere that fostered a sense of belonging. 

Touring Pierer Mobility North America 

The subsequent morning began with a visit to Pierer Mobility North America headquarters, where a fleet of 13 MV Agustas awaited us. Before our ride, we toured the facility. Stepping through the grand entrance, I was greeted by a spacious layout adorned with an array of motorcycles and captivating imagery showcasing MV Agusta's legacy. 

Among the highlights of our tour was the training room, where local dealer mechanics undergo comprehensive instruction on servicing the Austrian and Italian brands. This chamber, replete with meticulously dissected motors, provided insight into the internal workings of these engines. Notably, transparent valve covers, exposed cams, and cut-out stator covers offered a tactile understanding. One particularly captivating example stood out to me: a vertically cut cylinder revealing a piston nestled at the nadir of its stroke. Additionally, an electric motorcycle motor was dissected to expose its internal data boards, exemplifying the thoroughness of the presentation. 

MV Agusta F3

Following this enlightening experience, we proceeded to the electric-assist and pedal bike servicing area, catering to an assortment of brands including Husqvarna, GasGas, Felt, and R Raymond. The staff exhibited notable enthusiasm in presenting the recently arrived MV Agusta Rush 1000, which had just been transported to the facility. Exquisite craftsmanship and aesthetic elegance were prominently showcased in this meticulously designed motorcycle adorned with a striking combination of red, black, and carbon fiber accents. 

Our journey then led us to the motorsports building, which is dedicated to the factory race teams. As soon as you walk through the doors, the illustrious histories of KTM, Husqvarna, and GasGas are celebrated through an impressive display of trophies on the wall. As we navigated through the bustling workshop, conversations with factory race mechanics provided invaluable insights into the meticulous preparation of the on- and off-road motorcycles destined for competition. We proceeded through the suspension assembly area before reaching the engine workshop, where an array of over 100 engines awaited deployment for various racing events. Among these engines was one meticulously tuned for optimal performance at the high elevation of Pikes Peak, Colorado. 

Prior to a sumptuous lunch, we were introduced to the dedicated women of KTM NA, whose integral roles within the organization underscored a commitment to diversity and inclusivity. After lunch, we got the opportunity to ride an assortment of MV Agustas. 

Riding MV Agusta Motorcycles  

The motorcycle assigned to me initially was the Dragster RR SCS America, a limited production model with only 300 units handcrafted in Italy. Several features immediately caught my attention. The transparent clutch cover, the distinct separation between the seat and subframe revealing the background, and the carbon fiber wheel cover with red, white, and blue accents all contributed to the motorcycle's unique aura. As a 5-foot-6 petite woman, I found the 33.3-inch seat height to be easily manageable, allowing both of my feet to firmly touch the ground. The riding position proved to be remarkably comfortable for a high-performance motorcycle, with the upright handlebars adding to the overall ergonomic appeal. 

Related: MV Agusta Dragster RR SCS America | First Ride Review 

MV Agusta Dragster RR SCS America

Upon ignition, the 5.5-inch TFT display underwent a brief but thorough eight-second diagnostic check, ensuring optimal functionality of the battery voltage and other electronic components before permitting engine startup. As I rode, the bike's Smart Clutch System operation felt familiar to me, drawing parallels to the experience with the Rekluse clutch in my KTM 500EXC. The launch control functionality was particularly impressive, delivering rapid and seamless acceleration while keeping the front wheel down enough to prevent too much height. 

As we navigated twisty roads, I encountered a subtle bump on an uphill corner, causing the front wheel to lift momentarily. The responsiveness of the motorcycle was such that I scarcely noticed the maneuver until the front wheel returned to the ground, reflecting the seamless handling characteristic of the Dragster America special edition. 

I then transitioned to the Brutale 1000, which offered a similar riding experience as the Dragster, albeit without the SCS. 

MV Agusta Brutale 1000RR

At the next stop, I switched to the F3, a visually striking red sport bike characterized by its aggressive seating position and edgy gas tank design. Equipped with a 3-cylinder 675cc engine and a built-in lap timer, the F3 exuded a sense of performance prowess. 

Upon reaching a spacious open area, I had the opportunity to fully experience the performance of the F3, which exhibited a strong inclination for spirited acceleration. Despite its dynamic capabilities, prolonged riding on the F3 proved taxing on my hands and wrists, emphasizing the intensity of its performance-oriented design. 

After riding several MV Agusta models, I was impressed by the diverse range of experiences afforded by the motorcycles, each offering a unique blend of performance, craftsmanship, and ergonomic comfort. 

Uniting Women Riders 

The day concluded with a visit to the esteemed Doffo winery, where a private dinner awaited us in the motorcycle room. Against the backdrop of fine wines and exquisite cuisine prepared by a talented female chef, we reflected on the significance of IWD. It was a fitting tribute to the countless contributions of women in motorcycling, a sentiment echoed by one of the owner’s daughters who explained her love for motorcycles and graciously extended her appreciation on this auspicious occasion. 

As we departed, the camaraderie forged during our time together lingered, a testament to the bonds forged through shared passions and experiences. Indeed, this IWD celebration served as a poignant reminder of the strides made by women in traditionally male-dominated fields, inspiring us all to continue pushing boundaries and challenging stereotypes. 

I am thankful to MV Agusta and Olivia Goheen for providing opportunities to connect, collaborate, and ride together, fostering a more inclusive motorcycle community. Here's to next year's International Women's Day with MV Agusta and the continued empowerment of female riders. Cheers! 

The post MV Agusta International Women’s Day Event appeared first on Rider Magazine.

Source: MV Agusta International Women's Day Event

Top 5 Reasons to Ride the Harley-Davidson CVO Road Glide ST

Hod-rod fans, rejoice—Harley-Davidson has something tasty with its 2024 CVO

Road Glide ST bagger. Based on the recently released

2023 Road Glide CVO, the ST model ups the performance ante with a hopped-up, non-VVT 45-degree Milwaukee-Eight engine designed for maximum giddyap and go. Liquid-cooled cylinder heads, adjustable-damping suspension, and oversize Brembo brakes give this V-twin a very sporty edge and are perfect for heavyweight cruiser riders who want to go fast, in total comfort. Here are the top five things we like about riding it, at the racetrack. Interested in a more affordable option, check out the 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Reviews With Videos article.

1. This nearly two-liter V-twin engine. This thing <b>s—s 'n' gits!</b>
  2. We love the suspension on this motorcycle with <b>a real sportbike fork</b>. It has 5 inches of travel and twin Showa shocks with nearly three inches of travel. This thing gets around the track in a hurry!
  3. We like the <b>sound and character</b> of this Road Glide ST and it comes with a high-performance air filter and a nice set of carbon fiber pipes.
  4. <b>Superbike brakes</b>. That's right, we have Superbike radial Monoblock brakes by Brembo. This thing gets stopped in a hurry.
  5. Because who would ever think that we would be <b>riding a high-performance bagger at the racetrack</b>.

We'll see you in the next episode. Whoo!

Source: Top 5 Reasons to Ride the Harley-Davidson CVO Road Glide ST

Top 5 Things We Like About Suzuki's GSX-8R for Street Riders

Suzuki Motor comes out swinging in the new year with its

2024 GSX-8R. Designed as a more all-around, street-going sportbike, the

GSX-8R is positioned adjacent to Suzuki's awesome GSX-R line of racy, high-revving inline-four sportbikes. We've reported on the GSX-8R in detail during the 2024 Suzuki GSX-8R Review With Videos article, but for those seeking the bullet point version, here are the top five features of the 2024 Suzuki GSX-8R for streetbike riders.

1. This 776cc parallel-twin engine, it <b>has gobs of power</b>, it feels like a V-twin!
  2. This slick-shifting gearbox with an electronic quickshifter <b>on the up- and downshifts</b>.
  3. The suspension offers 5 inches of travel and <b>tons of road holding</b>. We really like it.
  4. The <b>ergonomics on this bike work well</b> for a 6-foot-tall, 205-pound rider, and it is very comfortable for us.
  5. Because this motorcycle is very easy to ride, and it looks cool, and it costs just <b>south of $9,500</b>.

We'll see you in the next episode, folks.

Source: Top 5 Things We Like About Suzuki's GSX-8R for Street Riders

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk