Left Engine Cover Guard

Started by RockinRollin, May 14, 2017, 18:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockinRollin

I knew you would have the answers! :)

CDNRatMan

Well Uncle Ronny, having met your wonderful bride, I think as I said the words, " Dearest Wife the bike comes before your ***** reno, here is the money to hire someone to do the work" and then hand her the cash to hire a really good contractor.
Or you could just go out and hire someone to do the work and tell that sweet lady of yours that it is better for your heart to hire someone and you would do therapy for the mind and soul by working on your bike..........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Old Drifter

Quote from: Troll on June 26, 2017, 15:15:46 PM

There are four stand offs that attach to the engine. The cover attaches to them

Are the four stand-offs the same size (long)? The two front ones in particular.
Gene

1999 Drifter

RockinRollin

I've got the part, problem is time to work on it. We are in the midst of home renos and I've been painting and laying flooring. I really want to do this and a few other mods before the Drift Inn .
I'm thinking about installing lowers and crash bar inserts to block the wind also but they may not happen in time.
Should I just say to the wife " Sorry bike comes first"? I know Ratman would have good marital advice.

Troll

Quote from: Old Drifter on June 26, 2017, 14:51:16 PM

Let us know how it's going. I'm thinking the 2001-up stator cover may also be needed. The two forward bolts won't be long enough to thread in with the '99-'00 cover...too short.

There are four stand offs that attach to the engine. The cover attaches to them

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Old Drifter

Quote from: RockinRollin on May 26, 2017, 05:11:38 AM

According to the pictures the only thing missing is some threaded spacers part 92151 in the pdf below. The ad said it would fit but we will see.
BTW that was $50 US and it will cost another $40 to ship.

Let us know how it's going. I'm thinking the 2001-up stator cover may also be needed. The two forward bolts won't be long enough to thread in with the '99-'00 cover...too short.
Gene

1999 Drifter

Trall

A cover looks good but IMO the 99-2000 look more old school without one.  Another major negative is what a pain to flush/bleed out  your clutch fluid.  On my 2001 and up, you have to remove the left side floor board and foot shifters and other parts just to get to the clutch bleeder.
I now also have a 2000 1500 and Love the looks of the engine and just bleed my clutch fluid with no issues and no cover.  Looks more retro and old school.

RockinRollin

Mine came in the mail about 3 days ago, haven't had a chance to look into it but I think it bolts right on. I'm going to powder coat the outside cover black and spray bomb the inside cover metallic red.

Old Drifter

Quote from: RockinRollin on May 26, 2017, 05:11:38 AM

According to the pictures the only thing missing is some threaded spacers part 92151 in the pdf below. The ad said it would fit but we will see.

I've been looking into this since your post. I'm pretty sure that they will fit perfectly. I just ordered a used one and I think it (the one I ordered) comes with the spacers. I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on painting it the flat silver/aluminum to match the right side cover. Thanks for the idea.
Gene

1999 Drifter

RockinRollin

DC

Quote from: RockinRollin on May 26, 2017, 08:09:50 AM

To DC, Yeah I love that bike to. So much so I bought a set of Buco bags and was going to install them but couldn't figure out how to paint them since I went with a 2 tone paint job. In many ways that bike is the Holy Grail of Drifters. Every time I look at that bike I see something new. Who was the original owner, anyone know? Dave somebody? If I had the funds I would try and make that bike from an 800. But the dual exhaust would be the main obstacle. With a single exhaust it would cause the bags to sit too high and wouldn't look right. But with the 800's you could pull the bags in tight since there is no shocks on the outside.

As they say, just about anything can be fabbed.  If you have the engineering skills, which I know you do, time and money are the only limitations.

Old Drifter

Quote from: RockinRollin on May 26, 2017, 08:09:50 AM

To DC, Yeah I love that bike to. So much so I bought a set of Buco bags and was going to install them but couldn't figure out how to paint them since I went with a 2 tone paint job. In many ways that bike is the Holy Grail of Drifters. Every time I look at that bike I see something new. Who was the original owner, anyone know? Dave somebody? If I had the funds I would try and make that bike from an 800. But the dual exhaust would be the main obstacle. With a single exhaust it would cause the bags to sit too high and wouldn't look right. But with the 800's you could pull the bags in tight since there is no shocks on the outside.

RockinRollin, go fo it and make it happen! You only live once.
Gene

1999 Drifter

RockinRollin

RockinRollin

CDNRatMan

:o Wait till you see Uncle ronny's bike it is awesome, if I had a 1500 his would be cool....bu it has far to much chrome on it...hurts my eyes......I needed my sunglasses in the garage......

DC

Quote from: RockinRollin on May 21, 2017, 20:05:32 PM

I know it can be done, here is a picture of Glen Bakers bike which is obviously a 99 or 2000 with the left engine cover guard.

I love that bike.   8)

CDNRatMan

::) Uncle Ronny, etiquette dictates that you must, sorry you MUST always post follow ups on any mods or changes you make because one never knows when that mod or change will be considered or needed by another.....and you do  make them fun to watch......lol.....

Old Drifter

Quote from: RockinRollin on May 25, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

I ordered one off of Fleabay for $50. If anyone is interested I will post updates , otherwise I won't bother.

Yes, please post updates. I'd like to know if it will work and how it looks. Did you get the cover and all the parts needed for the install for the $50? Thanks
Gene

1999 Drifter

RockinRollin

I ordered one off of Fleabay for $50. If anyone is interested I will post updates , otherwise I won't bother.

RockinRollin

I know it can be done, here is a picture of Glen Bakers bike which is obviously a 99 or 2000 with the left engine cover guard.

RockinRollin

Has anyone with the 99 - 2000 Drifter 1500 installed one of these left engine cover guards? Was it difficult to intall, are the bolts hard to come by? I was thinking of getting one and powder coating it black to match the 2000 Drifter. Any thoughts? It states that it fits a 2000 Drifter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vulcan-LEFT-ENGINE-COVER-99-08-Drifter-MeanStreak-Nomad-Classic-15-1600-/132097438820?hash=item1ec19ef464:g:~pwAAOSw4A5YpJKb&vxp=mtr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk