Vulcan Drifter Riders

• November 23, 2017, 23:48:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 59' Cadillac Lenses  (Read 452 times)

grinnell

• I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
59' Cadillac Lenses
« on: March 31, 2017, 19:38:49 PM »

Wondering for those of you out there that have the 59' Cadillac lenses if there is anything special about putting them on the back turns? Looking at the ones below can't visualize how they would connect/stay on. What am I missing? Is there another part needed? Pics if possible? Looked at quite a few on ebay and they all look like there just the lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Single-Clear-Tail-Light-Lens-1959-Cadillac-lense-/182443112451?fits=Year%3A1959%7CMake%3ACadillac&hash=item2a7a74f803:g:168AAOSw5cNYlDVP&vxp=mtr

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Snow Blower
  • VDR#: 1038
  • View Gallery
Re: 59' Cadillac Lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 20:39:33 PM »

You might want to reach out and pm GreenBarn and Rockin ronny because I know they both did this mod......
GPS is not to get you “THERE”……but rather to get you home from “THERE”

Tfrank59

• Plus a: Goldwing
  • Keep the rubber side down. USMC '78 to '84
  • View Gallery
    • This is most of the herd, Some got out of the corral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 21:13:51 PM »

dumb question here, but what's the way to know these would even be close to fitting on a drifter? ???  they don't call out a diameter do they?  I think they look really cool, seen them on old vintage indians, but the ebay site fitment charts all show actual Cadillacs--my year 1959 8).
Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Tfrank59

• View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 23:48:03 PM »

Well I was browsing through eBay for Cadillac lenses and some of them do call out a diameter. Some which cost a little more do include the mounts. it seems to me you're going to need some type of adapter made, probably out of aluminum. that's what machinists are good for ;D
Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

greenbarn

• Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Drifter 1500
  • VDR#: 1023
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 23:54:34 PM »

There are, I'm sure, many ways to attach them.  There are good write-ups on 2 different ways here:
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42821.msg95255#msg95255 http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42821.msg95255#msg95255drifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42794.0

The 59 caddy lights fit pretty well directly on the stock Drifter tail light.  The "cup" or "backing" for the caddy lens can be adapted easily to screw to the stock kaw housing.  Then it's a simple matter to attach the caddy lens to the backing.  The caddy light is then kind of heavy for the rubber-mounted kaw light housing, sometimes causing the light to sag a bit.  Some folks, including me, made some type of bracket to help support the light.

I used this method on my first attempt, but later I adapted HD turn signals with rigid mounts to the Drifter bumper.  The caddy lights are slightly smaller in diameter than the HD light housing - so I made an aluminum adapter to bolt it on.  I was pleased with how they turned out  - I also have HD markers on the front, so they match.
No Worries

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 23:58:39 PM »

They do look cool when your following him on the road......

Doobby

• Prospect
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 13:46:48 PM »

My first attempt was the Caddy lights adapted to the stock Drifter light housings. It was easy to mount them, but the end result was not good. The Caddy light is just too much overhung load for the stock light to handle. Over time the plastic/rubber on the light failed and I lost the light.

My second attempt was using Greenbarn's modification. It worked perfectly. The lights and extensions that he recommended were readily available (eBay). The aluminum adapter was easy to make. The only additional step that I took was a modification to the stock bushing that the bolt for the light goes through.

The stock bushing only allows you to tighten the light mounting bolt to the point that it bottoms out on the bushing. This still allowed the light and bushing to pivot within the mount. I found that if I ground off a little of the bushing making it shorter, that you could tighten the bolt enough to compress more of the rubber bushing. This really tightens up the light and keeps it from swiveling under it's own weight.

Many thanks to Greenbarn for figuring out the hard stuff and making it available to us!

Tfrank59

• View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 17:14:05 PM »

Well you guys gave me the idea for Cadillac lenses, but the funny twist is I decided they'd look better on my other bike, my Valkyrie... 8)

So the rear lenses turned out so nice I went ahead and did the fronts as well. Here's the latest update – I know it's not on my drifter but it's not off topic  ::)
Tom

RockinRollin

• I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

Nice saddle bags Tfrank!

Tfrank59

• View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »

Thanks. Now the only issue with those lenses, and I should warn you, is that I'm always walking into them when I walk around my bike. It's a good thing they're rubber mounted.
Tom

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 15:56:35 PM »

Just stop walking around the bike and relax......lol.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!