new seat

Started by indo, March 29, 2017, 13:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonwhistle

Hey guys, can anyone suggest a place other than Corbin to get a solo seat?

indue

It is unfortunate that they have poor customer service as regards to me and possibly many others , but I wouldn't want to comment on others. . The reason why I chose them was that they were a presumably a direct replacement. Of course a lot of the guys on this website and many others find, that there is a little discrepancy between what is designed and what actually fits. I do not blame any manufacturer in this light that it is a given that, stuff has to be altered to fit. One thing that I will say is a definite plus on the Corbin seat, is the seat pan. And it is quite right that their seats need close to 1500 miles to settle in. But mine is working great now!

chief

Good seats, but they have always had poor CS.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

rojadon

I heard good things about the quality of their seats. I'm a bit surprised to know that they have a poor service.

RockinRollin

Sorry to hear about your trouble with Corbin. I thought they were better than that.

indo

Trall

GREAT LOOKING set-up.  Nice Job

greenbarn

That looks great, Indo.

No Worries

indo

Pilgrim

Way to overcome..seat looks good. Hope your back feels better.

indo

I recently purchased a Corbin seat for my 1500. I've worked in retail/customer service and Corbin has very poor customer service. I ordered the seat online and filled out all the criteria correctly. A couple of weeks later they sent me a copy of the invoice and there were some missing items. I called three times-no answer-emailed several times and no reply. Finally, I was able to get ahold of somebody and told them what was wrong. They said they would fix it. Well, it arrived and they were not fixed but at least they got the red welt on there. Very shabby. I put the seat on after fixing the forward tie down that goes around the washer; they had mounted the metal tab in a completely different place and used the taller mounting brackets I had leftover from the previous seat. Went for a ride after putting a little bit of white lithium on the rear rack to see if it was hitting the seat. It was. So, I took the seat off and put a cutout in the rear of the seat. This is pan plus foam and is hidden by the fringe which is velcro'd on to the seat. I took it for a ride with my buddy (KTM 990) and went for about 180 miles and everything seemed all right. Then I took it down to the desert and only went 450 miles before my back completely went out. I have previous back problems/sciatica but this was over the top. I was thinking I'd have to hang up my spurs. What was left to do? I got an idea to install springs. Not the easiest thing to do as there was the design I had to come up with and installation. I looked at tractor seats which would be the way to go but you still have to come up with a pan and hinge so that would have to be fabricated. I decided to make the upper brackets (steel) and set them in epoxy with a phenolic resin block under the two screws that attach to the seat and made the lower brackets 90 deg. with the spring in between. I had to drill two holes in the frame (each side) for the lower brackets to attach to and they rest on the frame. I used 2" springs as 3" would be too tall and change the geometry of the seat. How does it work? Very well. Corbin seats are hard to begin with and this just takes some of the jolts out and gives some cushion. Seats with springs take a little getting used to but so far so good... 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk