Time for a new bike: :)

Started by kfoster, September 06, 2015, 22:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

I have a set of NOS 1967 T-140 bars on mine. I kept the originals and actually have had several different types of bars on until I found these. The levers listed on eBay for the W-800 fit just fine, and are cheaper than stock replacement, with the added advantage of adjustability. From what I can see, all the KAW mirrors in that general time frame are the same.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

kfoster

Good eyes!  :o There must have been an oops moment in the past. No case scrapes though  :D
The bars are aftermarket and lower than the stock bars. From what I have read, the stock mirrors work great with the higher stock bars. They were terrible with these. I do find these bars to be very comfy, so they will stay.

The stock mirrors are identical to the ones on my 800 Drifter and in much better condition. They have also found a home.

Troll

I see the brake lever is hooked...did you have fun drilling out the end plug in the right side handlebar, or doesn't it have the original bars on it?

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

kfoster

Well...I have had the W650 for a little while now and have gotten a few things squared away:

• Cleaned out a plugged pilot jet and adjusted the air screws
  • Shimmed the stock carb main jet needles
  • Removed and plugged the Kleen air system
  • Installed Napoleon Bar End mirrors. (Now I can see more than my shoulders)

The verdict......It is a very neat scooter. I can see myself keeping it for a very long time!

kfoster

Quote from: Troll on September 28, 2015, 14:47:48 PM

It has the later version knee pads that were only available on the '01 and later...

I was wondering what the reason for this was. I have the other tank pads in the goodie box and a receipt from Germany for the tank pads that are on the bike.

CDNRatMan

Congrats and looks nice and clean.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Troll

It has the later version knee pads that were only available on the '01 and later...

kfoster

It is a 2000 with an 01 seat with a repainted tank. It has 24K. Progressive fork springs. A big box with progressive shocks and other goodies too. The bike is very clean and straight.

Troll

So, it's an '01 with a repaint!.. How many miles?

kfoster

Very nice!!!!!

Well......I got down the Silver Spring this past weekend and collected the W.

I got it home and commenced to clean and tweak the bike.  The bike had some running issues. It really needed to warm up with the choke applied for about 5 minutes before it could be ridden. I removed the carbs, adjusted the pilot jets and put washers under the stock needles. Just this has cleaned things up considerably. I will ride it as is for a while before deciding what comes next. I think this thing is going to be lots of fun!

BTW.....The Ford Focus with 6 speed DCT got 32 mpg on the trip from Silver Spring MD to Rochester NY whilst towing the bike.

Troll

I bought mine for my 60th birthday. Nobody ever figures out what I want, so I just did it myself. That's 2009 in dog years....I've put about 16,000 on it since I got it (and 62,000 on the Drifter) and the only thing I have done  to it is the valve adjustment at 15,000. I read about the possible fender issue, and I got a BSA rear fender brace from a 441 Vicky and with a small mod, it fit right on. Lessee here. I did the shelfectomy mod, and put in a DynoJet kit, a Corbin Gunfighter seat and some NOS T-140 handlebars. I have all the stock parts, so I can return it to original if I decide to sell it (fat chance)..2 pics...as I got it, and as it is right now...There's that fat guy again....

kfoster

Cool!!! I have seen some of the material about the W-1 series. The photos of the vertical twins with the bevel drives are great. I just think that it is fun that they did these retro-W's this way. They could have easily done a timing chain and been done with it. The bevel drive makes the bike way more interesting.

Troll, how long have you had your W650? Any things that I need to watch out for, besides the cracking rear fender. This one is not cracked yet, indicating either it was braced or replaced!

Troll

Yeah, you're kinda right about the W, except that it is actually a continuation of the first "Big" bike Kawasaki imported. They bought a company called Meguro that was building BSA A-10s under license in Japan. They improved the design incrementally and started bringing them into the us in '66 as the W-1 through w-3 series Commanders. Sooo, if you do a DNA test, you'll find there is a bit of BSA in that bike....As far as the bevel drive cam goes, that's been a common practice all around the world. Everybody from BSA to Norton, Cyclone (in 1910), Ducati, Velocette, Eyesink....just to name a few. Like Paul Harvey always said...now the rest of the story!

kfoster

Well between the 650 and the 800, you would be at 1450cc!

It is interesting what they did back then with these retro bikes. The Drifters were obviously based on the 800 and 1500 Vulcans with all kinds of interesting Indian features, especially the floating rear fenders.

The ZRX was really a Zephyr with a water cooled ZX11 engine, a trick swing-arm, and fully adjustable suspension. It also featured Eddie Lawson paintwork and cowl. The last year for the ZRX in the US was 2005. A more modern ZRX is still being produced for the Japanese market. It is fuel injected and had slightly more angular styling.

The W650 was pretty much clean sheet of paper. This bike was unique as it was not part of a larger series. The really neat feature is the bevel drive single overhead cam vertical twin. It serves no specific purpose other than to prove that Kawasaki can make a neat engine just for the fun of it! The last year for the W650 in the US was 2001. It continued to be sold in other markets. There is now a fuel injected W800 in production that is being sold in Asia and Europe.

CDNRatMan

WOW very nice...perhaps I should look for one rather then a 1500....lol.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

kfoster

Now that I have the Drifter sorted and working well, it seems like it is time for a new bike. (possibly project, once we see what we have) I have placed a deposit on this baby and will drive down to Silver Sring MD at the end of the month to collect her.

This should complete my collection of 20th century Kawasaki retro bikes!
[/size]
1999 ZRX1100

2001 Drifter 800
It seems that Kawasaki got very nostalgic at the end of the 20th century. They had three retro-bike styles in the line-up at the same time as they were moving forward with far more modern machines. All three of these bikes have found cult followings around the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk